Grandparents' Rights


Can a grandparent seek a court order for contact with a grandchild?

The answer to that is yes if there was a relationship with the child already established.  Under the Children (Northern Ireland) Order 1995, grandparents (and others) may seek the permission of the court to apply for a Contact Order with a child. Parents do not need the permission of the court; they have an automatic right to apply, however grandparents, or other extended family members, need the ‘leave’ of the Court, unless the child has lived with them for a period of time before issuing the application.

The degree of connection with the child, the nature of the application, and whether the child may suffer harm by the application being brought are all factors that the court would consider.  The child’s welfare is the primary concern of the court in such an application.

We have specialist family lawyers who advise in relation to these types of cases.  If you are a grandparent or someone else with a relationship with a child and are seeking to understand your rights, get in touch today with on or ring 02897512722 to discuss your situation in confidence.

Clare Curran
Director & Head of Family Law


Email Clare Curran

Real People
Real Advice
Now We're Talking

Let's talk about your concern around Grandparents' Rights today.